Frequently Asked Questions
We've updated our FAQs for this Fall 2020 and we're here to help with any more questions:
1. What native species do you grow?
We specialize in source-identified native plants indigenous to our home province of Ontario, Canada. To date, we've grown well over 500+ species of grasses, wildflowers, ferns, sedges, aquatics, trees, and shrubs suited to all kinds of environments and applications. We routinely have 1,000,000+ plants and 300+ species at different growth stages in production.
2. What formats or sizes options are available?
We supply plants in a variety of different formats based on how and when you need them to be ready for planting:
Early spring (Mid April - Early May):
- 1P or 2P Seedlings: 1 and 2 year woody seedlings grown as plugs ("P") in trays inside our greenhouses
- 1P + Tranplant Seedlings: 1P and 2P woody seedlings transplanted to the field and grown on outdoors for 1+ years
Spring - early summer (Mid May - Early June):
- Square Pots: Herbaceous plants 4-inch or 9-cm
- Round Pots: Tree or shrubs in 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 30 gallon pots
Fall (Late August - Early October):
- Pots (1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 30 Gallon)
Year-round starting in fall:
- Bulk Seed Mixes
- Seed Packets (mixed species only)
- Live Stakes and Cuttings (by special order only)
Plant height and breadth will vary by species and format. Please let us know in advance if you have size requirements for your project for us to consider.
3. Can I pre-order to get more plant species?
Absolutely, this is the best way to access the rich diversity of native plants Ontario has to offer. We grow the vast majority of our plants seasonally for spring and fall planting seasons based on advanced pre-order or contract grow arrangements.
This allows us the lead time needed to grow high quality native plants best suited to your needs. As well, certain plants - such as herbaceous species in plugs - may only be pre-ordered at this time.
4. How do I start an advanced pre-order for future seasons?
Please contact us about your options to advance pre-order or have your plants grown on contract. Our growers will consider new requests for spring during the fall months (this year's deadline is October 16th) based on available seed and production space. If possible, we may also be able to offer seed collection services on a contracted basis.
5. How do I place a wholesale order for this season?
To fit your short-term project needs, we're cultivating new ways to bring our wholesale nursery directly to you online. Each season, we will share fresh limited-time-and-quantity available for pick-up or delivery upon request.
- You can preview our wholesale availability here and sign up for updates through our mailing list at the bottom of this page.
- To place wholesale orders, apply to access our wholesale store portal. When products are available, our team can typically review and approve your request within one week.
- Once approved, you can draft pre-orders for wholesale quantities and our team will contact you to finalize the details, such as pick-up or delivery.
Need more options? Please reach out to our team so we may help find solutions suited to your unique project requirements and timelines.
6. How can I place a wholesale order for bulk seed mixes?
We're also working to make our seed mixes available for year round ordering on our site. This year, seed mixes will be available in time for dormant fall seeding (late October / November). This is the ideal time to sow most native seed mixes for best results.
7. When will new plants or seeds be ready?
As always, exact plant ready dates will vary based on the items included in your order as well as other nature-based factors, such as weather conditions. Similarly, seed mixes depend seed harvesting and processing schedules. We will contact you as needed to provide more updates!
8. How will I receive my plants or seeds?
We'll work with you to get your plants and seeds where they needs to go once they're ready. For online orders, options will be provided on checkout based on on the items in your order. To inquire about special project arrangements, you can email email@example.com.
- We'll contact you to schedule appointments for all pick-ups and deliveries.
- Only seed items may be shipped exclusively within Ontario, Canada due to current extended shipping times.
9. Do you supply retail plants and seeds to landowners?
Yes, we do! We're currently sowing new seeds in the Ecology Centre retail section of our website. Please stay tuned or sign up for more updates through our mailing list for more details coming soon.
Hey there, looking for more information?
Please let us know by getting in touch. We look forward to hearing from you.