These medium-sized evergreens are mostly found in Northern Ontario, where they're enjoyed as food and shelter by much of the local wildlife! As a result, they're also a strong choice for windbreaks.
- Zone: 2-7
- Height: 60-80 feet; 18-25 metres
- Spread: 15-20 feet; 4.5-6 metres
- Sun: Full sun
- Soil: Easily grown in average medium soils
- Moisture: Medium
- Wildlife: Provides food and habitat for a wide range of animals, including deer, squirrels, porcupines, grouse, and even black bears! Bears particularly enjoy eating the inner bark.
- Tolerates: Moderate levels of drought
- Noteworthy characteristics: Spruces can be hard to differentiate in Ontario, but white spruce is distinct because with four-sided needles. Its needles are blue-ish green with white-lines to distinguish its sides.