Tallgrass Prairie Seed Mix (kg)
A range of seasonal prairie grasses - with an equally strong representation of prairie wildflowers - to help bring back endangered tallgrass prairie & savannah habitats in Ontario.
- Sun: Full sun
- Culture: Dry, sandy soils
If you have site-specific species preferences for us to consider, please include them in your order notes. Our mixes offer flexibility around similar species based on availability.
*Please note that the species included may differ slightly with each order. Seed availability changes year-to-year and season-to-season based on the species, harvest results, weather conditions, and more. We may update our mixes at any time in order to best support goals for ecological restoration and biodiversity conservation.
The minimum order for bulk seed mixes is 5kg.
For large specialty orders over 50 kg, please contact our team at email@example.com for more pre-ordering options to reserve necessary seed amounts.
Mixes are prepared to order and based on any timelines you can provide. Note that the ideal time for seeding is in late fall, which is also ideal for more species diversity after fall seed harvesting.
Timing: The best time to sow your seed mix is in late fall (November is ideal) and early spring is next best. We typically recommend avoiding summer seeding.
For basic applications, you can follow the steps below.
- Prepare your area: Remove weeds and cultivate the soil as needed
- Lightly tramp the soil: Pack, but avoid smoothing out the soil completely
- If separated, sow larger grass seeds: Apply based on the mix application rate, then cover with 1/4″ topsoil, mulch, or harrow
- Scatter fine wildflower seeds: Apply these on surface, using an inert bulking agent - like sawdust, sand, or kitty litter - to help evenly disperse seed
- Watch the weather: Native plants are adapted to their environment, but in summer you may want to water seeded areas to maintain a moist soil
Storage: Large grass and fine wildflower seeds are packaged separately. You can store all your seed in a cool dry place until you're ready to sow.