Specific tree and shrub species that root well from cuttings in water or moist soil conditions are available as live stakes or fascines. They are used as part of a strategy to stabilize streambanks and create natural shorlines.
St. Williams Nursery & Ecology Centre provides live stakes and fascines in these species:
- Cornus stolonifera (Red Osier Dogwood)
- Cornus amomum (Silky Dogwood)
- Salix amygdaloides (Peachleaved Willow)
- Salix discolor (Pussy Willow)
- Salix eriocephala (Woolyheaded Willow)
- Salix exigua (Sandbar Willow)
- Salix bebbiana (Bebbs Willow)
- Populus deltoids (Cottonwood)
- Populus balsamifera (Balsam Poplar)
All of these materials should be used along with seed and plugs to establish vegetation on a site.